Instructor: Ivett Almaguer
Community: Grades 1-3, 8 to 11 students a public Montessori Elementary School, After School Enrichment Class, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 21, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
Props/Music/Resources Required: Hoberman Sphere
- Belly Breathing – One student leads with Hoberman Sphere and another counts off a selected number of breaths.
- Child’s Pose – to Downward Dog to Child’s Pose- This is where the Strong come to rest.
- Song – Sing Three Little Birds while doing side stretches on alternate sides.
- Affirmations – Remind students to activate from core and extend “rays” out through hands and feet. Have a student lead these. Lines can be fed to leading students while the rest of class does response. “I am strong. (Horse stance with fists raised.) I am in control. (Activate star pose.) I am responsible. (Warrior I) I can do this! (Warrior II)” switch sides.
- Downward Dog – 10-20 strong donkey kicks from Downward Dog- rest in child’s pose or downward dog when your body wants rest.
- Activate/Relax Walk
- Yoga Flow – Remind students to press down through four corners of the feet without gripping the toes in order to ground down for these challenging balance poses. Eagle to Tree to Mountain to Star to Half Moon to Standing Split, rise to standing with one knee raised, repeat sequence other side
- Tree Challenge – with partner
- Tree Circle – with whole group
- Archetype Game
- Changing Channels Activity
- Relaxation – Imagine your mind is a T.V. What channel is playing on your mind T.V.? Do you like it? Whether you like it or not, it is time for your mind/body to rest and download all the good movement you just did. Turn off your Mind T.V. and settle into relaxation.