Instructor: Ivett Almaguer
Community: Grades 1-3, 8 to 11 students a public Montessori Elementary School, After School Enrichment Class, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 7, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Props/Music/Resources Required: Hoberman Sphere
- Belly Breathing – One student leads with Hoberman Sphere and another counts off a selected number of breaths. Listen to the sound of your breath. Can you hear your neighbor breathing?
- Child’s Pose – Has the sound of your breath changed?
- Pulse Count – 30 sec.
- Mother Earth Song – Introduce movements- The first verse, we drum on ground in straddle pose. The second verse, we clap our hands over our heads in celebration pose (sitting up on knees). The third verse, we do a standing series of movements. The fourth verse, we sing in alternating tree pose.
- Affirmations – Have a student lead these. Lines can be fed to leading students while the rest of class does response. “I am strong. (Horse stance with fists raised.) I am in control. (Activate star pose.) I am responsible. (Warrior I) I can do this! (Warrior II)” switch sides. Direct students to activate in these poses by pretending they can shoot rays of energy out through their hands and their feet.
- Activate/Relax Walk
- Yoga Series – Mountain, Forward Fold, Downward Dog, Warrior I, Warrior II, cartwheel arms to floor, step back into Downward Dog, bend knees, jump forward to Forward Fold, return to Mountain and repeat this series 2-3 times for each side
- Pulse Count – 30 sec.- Do you notice a difference in your count the second time?
- Archetype Game
- Changing Channels
- Volcano Breath
- Pulse Count – 30 sec.- Is this count similar to the first or second time you counted or is it completely different?
- One Minute Exploration – Look inside for the safe place that you visualized last time we did a relaxation. Look around and notice a door that you never saw before in your safe place. What does it look like? Would you like to go through? If not, you can stay and rest in your safe place for the rest of relaxation time. If you would like to see what is on the other side, look around your neck and realize that there is a key hanging from a necklace around your neck. Take the key off and use it to open the door. Does it open easily or is it stuck and require pushing. Once you open the door you notice a Great Darkness that is illuminated by a magical being who is waiting patiently and smiling at you. What does your magical being look like? This being has a message for you. What kind of voice does it have? Does it whisper to you, sing to you, or shout? What is the message? Is it funny, serious, important? Would you like to share it with others when we come back to sitting?
- Sharing – Voluntary sharing of messages