Instructor: Kelsey Hanson
Community: Grade 8, Girls Group, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 18, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
Supplies: Mats, drum, Strong Voice Worksheets, Pens, Marker, Large sheet of paper, and chime
Focus: Group for girls who self-harm
- Volcano Breaths – 5x Volcano Breath in Mountain – Student led with compliments
- Reflection on Strength – Word on large sheet of paper & reflections written down.
- Roots – Listening to body to find center & strength.
- Warrior I – Left & Right – Finding strength of pose & how to be your strongest within pose.
- Warrior II – Left & Right – Finding/Feeling Strength – Beat drum 4x on each side – each time asking students to challenge their strength to feel stronger & more centered with each beat.
- Forward Fold – relax & breathe
- Group Reflection on Feeling Strength in Body
- Boat – Slowly and controlled moving into pose – Hold & feel strength of core.
- Strong Voice Activity & Worksheet – Social/Emotional Activity
- Group Reflection on Activity
- Relaxation – Social/Emotional Guidance – Prone positon:
- Breathe deeply.
- Now let your breath be natural and relaxed.
- Think back to a time when you felt weak, out of control, or scared.
- Remember where you were and who you were with.
- Remember what you were feeling emotionally.
- Remember what you were thoughts were in your mind.
- Remember if you can what you felt in your body.
- Now let your mind go to your center that you found today while planting your roots.
- From your center go the where you felt your strength the most in your body.
- With your mind going to your strongest think again to the time you felt weak, out of control or scared.
- Now listen for what your strong voice wants to tell you about that time.
- What does it want you to know? (Pause)
- Listen to the chime fade – as if fades start to wiggle your fingers & toes, and slowly come to a seated position.
- Group Reflection
- Closing Ritual