Instructor: Summer Buzza
Community: Grade 7, School Setting?, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: September, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Words: I can be quiet and still. I can find my center/breath.
- Check-In – scale 1-10 option to tell why & option to pass (1-anxious, tired, angry;10-happy, calm, elated).
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman sphere; have kids describe how our breath varies from when we are active versus calm.
- *Mindful Snack option – 5-8 minute simple mindful snack (apple slices, almonds)
- Pulse Count – 1 minute pulse count
- Square Breathing – discuss stress cycle and how slowing the breath engages the parasympathetic nervous system and brings the body back to calm state. Find square object in room (such as a window) or draw one in air or in mind. Breathe in for 4 counts, hold 4 counts, exhale 4 counts, hold 4 counts. Practice thinking about things that make us anxious (tests, called on in class, talking with guy/girl you like) then practice square breathing.
- Mat 20* – or Mountain, Forward Bend, Down Dog, Leg Stretch, Superman, Bridge, Childs Pose, Plank, Down Dog, Warrior (lots of power moves – how is our breath changing as our body goes from calm to active; we can be both still and actively engaged in all poses) *Or replace sequence with Mat 20.
- Tree – think of a beautiful tree and how it stays still and rooted throughout seasons despite storms and chaos around it; think of people in your life or heroes you admire who demonstrate stillness despite storms.
- Dance Party – play various music and kids dance and freeze when music stops. I can switch back and forth between being active and still. (notice change in breath, can do pulse counts).
- Stillness Challenge – remain still (Mountain, Tree, Warrior) despite distractions (partners distract each other, switch partner).
- Relaxation – guided imagery sitting by a creek (see, touch, smell, taste, hear); play water flow music; offer kids a rock to hold if struggling to be still.
- Calm Voice – activity sheet. Option to share.
- Check-In – scale 1-10 (1-anxious, tired, angry;10-happy, calm, elated)