Instructor: Summer Buzza
Community: Grade 7, School Setting?, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: September, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
Words: I can be grounded. I can do self-care to manage stress.
- Belly Breathing – Hoberman sphere breathing – breath centers us and brings nourishment to body.
- Mindful Snack *option – 5-8 minute simple mindful snack (apple slices, almonds) remind the importance of nutrition and hydration to provide body fuel to manage stress (discuss other tools for caring for our body to manage stress – play, sleep, food, water, exercise, quiet, friends).
- Check-In – 1-10 stress scale (1 -low stress, 10 – high stress) – any pain/headaches; sources of stress.
- Headaches & Pressure Points – (headache triggers: stress, dehydration, exercise, weather, allergies) Pressure points:bundles of nerve fibers (temples, base of skull, hand – in between thumb and index finger, inside of eyebrows on nose bridge, between big and 2nd toe (from How Stuff Works).
- Pulse Count – One minute pulse count.
- Yoga Flow – Arm swings, leg stretch, foot circles, rock and roll, boat, superman, bridge, child’s pose, forward bend, chair, star, chair, down dog, warrior II, down dog, chair, warrior I, pulse count (notice difference); down dog, tree, tree challenge.
- Mat 20 – *alternative option
- Child’s Pose
- Relaxation – Guided relaxation (activate, relax from feet to head);
page 76 of Relax.calm Check-in 1-10 stress scale – any differences in how
you feel now compared to beginning of class.
- Happiness Recipe – pp 115-116 (Talk through difference between feeling calm, energized and grounded after doing tasks versus feeling lethargic, anxious or wound up. Discuss answers as a group for ideas & students can complete now or take for homework). Discuss how you can provide self-care by engaging with activities from Happiness Recipe. Challenge kids to try several & report back next class.
- Stress Test *Option: provide student with Stress Test – identifies stressful events in their life & quantifies them (one in Yoga Calm manual; several good versions for kids online).