Instructor: Morgan Watson
Community: Grade 6, Therapeutic Group, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: March 3, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere (2 minutes), Ask the group how many breaths they would like to practice (between 5-10), invite a group member to lead the Hoberman sphere and ask another group member to lead the count. Integrate compliments.
- Trickster – (25 minutes)-I will invite the group members to lie on the floor and practice their breathing to help them become grounded and turn their awareness inside. I will play some sneaky and suspenseful music. I will slowly read the trickster archetype worksheet sentences and pause long enough for them to process. After reading I will invite the members to open their eyes and fill out the page; without talking. I will invite the group members to share their responses.
- Mindful Moment Card – Set intention (1 minute) – Mindfulness Card (Strength).
- Chime – (30 seconds)
- Conflicting Feelings – (30 minutes)-I will ask a student to volunteer to come to the front of the room. I will ask the class to imagine that it is a hot day in July and the student is standing on a steep cliff, looking into the cool river below. A friend of the student has encouraged him or her to jump into the water below. a friend of the student has two conflicting feelings that are speaking very loudly inside his or her body. What are they? I will write on our whiteboard each of the two feelings the group identifies side by side. I will ask the group what each word is saying to the student, then write those responses under each word. I will invite the group to play the parts of the different voices.
- Changing Channels Relaxation – (5 minutes)-I will invite the group to lie down and shut their eyes and begin to notice what they begin to think about-what is on their minds. I will tell them they are going to practice changing the channel in their minds. I will ask them to change the channel by imagining themselves playing in the snow-I will keep them on that channel for 30 seconds or so, then have them change the channel to a sunny beach. I will have them hold their channel for 30 seconds, then change the channel at least four or five different times. I might ask a group member to change the channel for the group. We will use the rest of the time asking the group members when this activity might be useful and how they might use this tool when they are about to do something challenging.