Instructor: Alexis Dodge
Community: Grade 5, School Setting, 35-40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: December 2, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Name Toss – Have children come into a circle and play name toss with one ball, then with two. After they get the pattern down, they play the game silently so they rely on eye contact and other non-verbal cues.
- Hoberman Sphere Breathing – Child will be selected to lead the class in Hoberman belly breathing. Sit in stillness for one minute after the practice.
- Yoga Calm Mat 20 – Lead the group in Mat 20 with a teacher leader. Then ask the group to practice quietly, without words. Stand in Mountain at the end of the flow and beat the drum silently for 8 beats. Then stand in stillness and notice how your body feels.
- Pose Challenge – Individual Leader with Drum – Ask a student leader to choose a pose that will help the class develop stillness. Have the student decide how many beats of the drum they would like to hold this pose. Give compliments s at the end.
- Guided Relaxation – (Planting a Seed) – Ask students to find a comfortable position on their mat. Guide students through a guided relaxation passage.