Population/Setting/Length: Grade 5, School Setting, 30-40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 14, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Chime – when I ring the chime, you may close your eyes if you’re comfortable. Listen to the chime and put your thumb up when you hear silence at the very end of the chime.
- Pulse Count – bring two fingers to the side of your mouth, slide down your neck until you find your pulse. Listen to rhythm of your heart beating. Imagine your heart beating the same as a drum. Simply breathe and listen to that drum for 20 beats of your heart.
- Volcano Breath – sitting as you connect to the earth in sitting position, imagine your breath rising up and releasing like a volcano.
- Roots Activity – sway back and forth, side to side to find your center of balance. Imagine your feet as roots to your mountain or tree, connecting you to the earth and helping you feel grounded. Listen to the world around you. What do you hear?
- Forward Fold – listen to your inner voice. What helps you be a better listener?
- Child’s Pose – let your head be heavy against the mat. One-minute Exploration through the woods, listening to the sounds around.
- Calm Voice – activity at desks
Instructor: Emily Ball