Instructor: Alexis Dodge
Community: Grade 5, School Setting, 35-40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: February 24, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Belly Breathing – “Feeling the weight of your body on the ground. Make your legs heavy, feel the gravity holding you to the earth. Picture a solid rock that goes deep into the earth and imagine how heavy that rock is. You are that rock. Feel yourself ground down.”
- Pulse Count – “Find your pulse, then listen to the rhythm of your heart. Picture a big drum with a stick and each time you hear your heart beat, imagine playing that big deep note on the drum (teacher plays drum for a few beats). Play that drum for 20 beats of your heart.”
- Volcano Breath – standing – “Imagine your breath rising up deep from the earth, like a volcano that is erupting.”
- Mountain Pose – “Feel your feet rooted to the ground, heavy and grounded.”
- Warrior 1 Pose – “Focus on holding the pose for 10 breaths to help your body feel strong and grounded (both sides).”
- Warrior 2 Pose – Repeat Warrior 1 process. This time challenging students to hold the pose for 15 breaths on each side!
- Roots Activity – (stand in a circle) – “Close your eyes. Feel yourself anchored to the ground. Think of people in the world who help you feel safe. Imagine them helping to hold your feet to the ground.”
- Trees in a Circle – Students will stand in a circle in Tree Pose. They will hold each side for 10 breaths. “Feel how your partner’s support helps you to root your foot into the earth.
- Guided Relaxation – (Planting a Seed) – Teacher will walk students through “Getting Comfortable” and then move into the guided relaxation passage.