Population/Setting/Length: Grade 5, School Setting, 30-40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 5, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Hoberman Sphere Belly Breathing – connecting to the 6th Habit of Synergizing, we’re going to have one student lead us in breathing while another student counts. All of us will follow along. It takes community and all of us working together to breathe as one.
- Compliments – who noticed something we did well together as a team?
- Trust Activity – working in pairs, what does it feel like when your eyes are closed and you have to trust your partner? How can we use this to build community in our room?
- Follow the Leader – sitting/standing in a circle, one person leaves the room and another person from the circle is chosen as the leader. The leader starts a motion and the rest of the group follows. Once the student from outside the room comes back in, the leader switches up the motion as the others follow. The person from outside tries to guess who the leader is!
- Tree Circle – standing in a large circle and finding your tree position, place hands together with the person on each side of you. Press into each other’s hands for support. What do you notice? How do we all depend on each other?
- Compliment Game – one student sits in the center of the circle while others give that person compliments. The student receiving the compliments recognizes the other students by saying thank you.
- Back Drawing – continuing in a circle, turn to the right. Place your hands on the back of the person in front of you. Think of something special about that person and draw a gift for them.
Instructor: Emily Ball