Instructor: Carolyn Jordan
Community: Grade 5, Classroom Setting?
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Belly Breathing – on back – Feel the weight of your whole body on the floor. Make your legs and arms heavy: fell gravity holding you to the earth. Imagine yourself an enormous heavy rocks pressing solidly against the ground.
- Pulse count – Find your pulse. Imagine you are large elephant with a slow steady pulse. Listen for 20 deep beats
- Rock and Roll – Lie on your back, bend your knees towards your chest, and grab your shins. Push your belly toward the flo0r as you forward and back, slowly. Keep holding onto your shins and roll side to side.
- Boat – Now grab the backs of your thighs and balance on your sitting bones
- Cat/Cow – Fill the belly with the sagging cow. Exhale deep with arching cat. Do this 3 x’s each
- Dog – Push up into dog, nice A shape
- Walk hands to feet and slowly roll up to standing.
- Mountain Pose – Stand tall, arms down, feel your feet rooted to the ground, heavy and grounded
- Roots – Stand in a circle – Spread your toes. Feel your whole foot on the mat. Rock onto to toes, back on heels. Big circles to the right, then bring them in smaller and smaller to center. Switch directions.
- Close your eyes and imagine all the people and animals that help you keep your feet on the ground
- Tree Circle – 10 counts each foot, feel the balance support of neighbor
- Relaxation – read the following mindful moment card on Grounding: “Think of your favorite tree. Now imagine that you can plant that tree in a special place. Go to that place, dig a big hole and plant the tree. Imagine that you can see into the future and watch the tree grow tall.”