Instructor: Jill Rost
Community: Grade 2, Classroom setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: February 10, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Purpose: To learn to listen to the messages that come from the mind, body and heart.
Materials: Lights/Chimes/Hoberman Sphere/Music/Lavender Spray
1. Prepare card with Archetypes
2. Move all desks and chairs to perimeter of room or use a larger room if available (gym/music room etc.)
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere: 10 breaths & think, “I can listen to my heart and body”.
- Ask a student to lead the group with the Hoberman Sphere while another student counts
- Close eyes and listen to stillness for 10 seconds
- Ask the group to give a compliment to both students
- Pulse Count – before and after Archetype game
- Ask students to notice which archetypes are comfortable/uncomfortable
- Play/stop music with each change of archetype
- Archetype Game – Have the class brainstorm of which archetypes might get them in trouble and which might be helpful.
- Child’s Pose
- Shavasana/dim lights/spray lavender
- Guided relaxation – have kids think about their hopes and dreams. Have them imagine achieving these dreams thinking of the sounds, smells and feelings involved, during the guided relaxation. Encourage slow breathing throughout.