Instructor: Bijoli Biswas
Class: Morning Focus Group, 1 Hour and 15 Minutes
Community: Grade 5
Plan Creation Date: April 15, 2010
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
• Volcano Breath: Place hands together at your heart, take a slow deep breath and pause when the lungs are full, hold the pause as arms float up, exhale slowly and explode the volcano slowly and come to the heart.
• Partner Pull: Stretch hips, low back, shoulders.
• Sun Salutation: Three times to get students moving and engaged.
• Tree Circle: Prep by starting with Roots and then shift from tree circle with support, with wind, and by yourself, talk about community and ask students to think of the people in their community that support them.
• Community Circle: Begin with Volcano Breath again and ask students to Students complete community circle worksheet quietly then share their worksheet with partner.
• Belly Breathing: Lying on back, breath into belly, focus on breathe, eyes closed to calm and prepare for visualization in strong voice activity.
• Strong Voice: As students are lying on floor with eyes closed slowly read the sentences to them on the strong voice worksheet. After reading, students sit up and quietly fill out the page, share with a partner then the group. Students Share: “Whose voice did you hear? Where is that person in your community circle”?
• Volcano Breathing: Sitting in a circle, have students do a few volcano breaths (as class began) and then have students close their eyes and imagine themselves sitting in the center of their community circle, surrounded by the people who are most important to them (continue a few volcano breaths and as the volcano explodes imagine sending their own strength out to this important community).
• Read Drawer Full of Memories: Page 148 in Ready, Set, R.E.L.A.X.