Instructor: Brenda Arnold
Community: Grade 5, Classroom Setting?, 45-60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 26, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Belly Breathing – with the Hoberman Sphere – 10 breaths
- Relaxation/Mindfulness Activity – White light
- Roots – Stand, feet hips width apart, rock back and forth with your body with feet firmly on the floor. Making smaller and circles until you feel balanced in the center of your feet. What does this feel like? Feel that balance on the four corners of your feet and then root your feet strongly into the floor like an oak tree that is solid and unwavering. Feel the strength and stability. (history of oak tree roots) When we are rooted we can withstand many storms.
- Tree Pose – Stand with legs and feet together. Shift your weight to the left foot. Slowly bend the right knee and draw the right foot up, placing the sole of your foot on your calf. Root yourself like a tree into the earth. Imagine your roots growing deeper holding you strong. Press your palms together in front of your heart to help balance, and then stretch your arms and head up like branches to the sky. Let the wind blow through your branches and remain strong and peaceful. (have students sway back and forth) Stop, now close your eyes and imagine the calm and notice your peaceful strength. Switch legs. Repeat. Now think of your favorite superhero or maybe someone strong in your life…
- Warrior I – Step back with your rt leg, bending front leg, stretching the back leg back until the front knee is right over the front ankle. Hold arms up straight on each side of your ears, palms facing each other and imagine that you are your favorite superhero, strong, fearless and use your superpowers to stand strong (count 15 seconds). Nothing can move you or go through you. Switch legs. Repeat. Good, Now let’s try something more challenging…..
- Warrior II – This is challenging, but use your superpowers to strengthen your body. Step your rt leg back just like warrior I and then raise your arms up parallel to the floor, palms facing down. Exhale and bend the right knee until it is again over the ankle. Shoulders are back and down. Keep both arms equal and turn your head forward. Feel your powers. (count 15 seconds). Switch legs. Repeat. Now I want you to bring your legs back together…
- Forward Fold – Bring legs back together, place feet hips width apart, bend at waist and dropping the arms forward. Relaxing them and reaching them to the floor. Touch the floor with your fingers. Breathe into your back. Take a few deep breaths. Now…
- Plank – Drop your hands down to the floor, shoulder width apart and step your legs out behind you. Point your fingers straight ahead and spread them like the rays of the sun. Press down through the four corners of each hand. Lift your legs, hips, belly and head. Until your body is straight like aboard. Tailbone is kept tucked toward the floor. Keep breathing! Feeling strong, noticing your inner strength. Repeat. Now bring both knees forward on all fours…
- Cat/Cow – Breathe in and when you breath out lower the head and tuck in your tail. Your back will round up like a cat. Breathe in, look up, and lift your head and collarbone. Your belly will drop like a cow’s. Breathe smoothly and slowly, matching your breath.
- Stretch – As we move into the last pose I want you to sit back on your heels reach your arms out….
- Childs Pose – Relax your neck, hips and back. Let your head be heavy resting your forehead on the floor.
- Relaxation – Breathe in and out slowly; as you relax I want you to focus on someone in your life that gives you strength when you need. Picture that person in your mind’s eye. Who are they? They have something important to tell you what is that? I would like you to breathe in the words and the positive energy they bring you. Feeling their strength and noticing yours.