Instructor: Brenda Arnold
Community: Grade 5, Classroom Setting?, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 26, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Vocabulary: Focus, Stillness, Patience, turn taking
Academic/Therapeutic/Other Goals: Listening to ourselves, listening to others
Props/Music Resources Required: Unique sounds, personal song of listening to your heart
- Lying on your back – listen to your breath with hands on chest
- Belly Breathing – put animal on abdomen to watch it rise and fall, breathing 8 breaths
- Pulse Check – What do you notice?
- Game – Hand out card of two matched sets. Make sure they are shuffled well, ask them to find their match and give them 3 minutes to tell them about themselves and allow the other person to introduce them to the group, by telling them at least three things they found out about them.
- Ask – What was that like? Did you find out anything new? How did it feel to be the person talking or Listening?
- Dancer – Balance on one foot at a time with eyes open
- State – I am strong. I am in control I can do it. Visualize themselves as super hero’s as they balance. What superhero would you be? Notice how you feel? Listen to your thoughts and body? What do you notice? Like a super hero, (superman) we need to “activate” at times and then “relax”. Practice listening, By activating then relaxing.
- Forward Fold
- Child’s Pose
- Relaxation – As you breath, pay attention to what it is your body/mind are trying to tell you, what is it that you need to listen to today?