Instructor: Kelly O’Berry
Community: Grade 4, Special Education Class, Alternative Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 14, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
Props/Music/Resources Required: Music & CD or IPod player
- Belly Breathing – Seated (chair) belly breathing with Hoberman sphere student lead
- Pulse Count – find your pulse by placing two fingers beside your mouth and drawling a line straight down beneath your chin to your throat. 30 seconds, ask students to remember the number to graph at end of activity along with post count.
- One-Minute Exploration – Think about how you are feel and how that has shaped your day so far; have students share with one word or pass if they do not want to share.
- Sun Salutation – (Middle section of Chair 15 Flow) 3 times, first lead by adult then student(s) directed with focus on strength from within to hold positions for 5-10 count and the strength to release if your body tells you it is time.
- Activate/Relax – sitting in desk; discuss and have student demonstrate relaxed and activated sitting position. Have students sit relaxed in seats; call “activate” and have students freeze in their seats, firm their muscles and focus their attention. Request a volunteer to try and distract students from their activation.
- Activate / Relax walking / Archetype Game – have students become of their favorite animal and when you call “activate or freeze” students hold their animal positions. Have students guess each other’s favorite animal. Have students share what strengths their animals have and why they admire them.
- Child Pose – at desk
- Pulse Count – have students take pulse for thirty seconds and graph the pre and post counts for the day’s activity.
- Relaxation – Ready, Set, R.e.l.a.x. story “Pillar of Strength”