Instructor: Kelly O’Berry
Community: Grade 4, Special Education Class, Alternative Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 14, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
Props/Music/Resources Required: Music & CD or IPod player
- Belly Breathing – Seated (chair) belly breathing with Hoberman sphere student lead
- Pulse Count – find your pulse by placing two fingers beside your mouth and drawling a line straight down beneath your chin to your throat. 30 seconds, ask students to remember the number.
- One-Minute Exploration – Think about how you are feeling and how that has shaped your day so far; have students share with one word or pass if they do not want to share.
- Sun Salutation – (Middle section of Chair 15 Flow) 3 times, first lead by adult then student(s) directed
- Community Circle activity – decorate circle and share with one another, post on desk or wall for students to see support
- Tree Circle – notice how your classmates and staff support you in this circle or our class community.
- Tree – notice the difference in support you have as you transition to support yourself as a tree.
- Tree Circle – end with the connection of students with each other.
- Child Pose – at desk
- Pulse Count – ask students if they remember their pulse count from the start of the activity and compare it to the current pulse rate.
- Relaxation – Share the “Sense of a Goose” Story