Instructor: Betsey Ashley
Community: Grade 4, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: February 3, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Hoberman Belly Breathing – The first thing we are going to do today is start with taking some good, deep breaths. Everyone sit on your chairs and put both feet on the ground. Now place one hand on your belly, and one hand on your heart. Would anyone like to hold the ball and be the leader? Great! _______________please choose a number of breathes between 5 and 10. Is there anyone who would like to be our breath counter? Thank you, ____________Wow! You all are really great breathers! Would anyone like to say something nice to ____________ about how well they did leading with the ball? ____________Would you like to give a compliment to ________________for their counting?
- Pulse Count – Find your pulse. Now take a moment, with your eyes closed, to listen to the rhythm of your heartbeat. Is it beating fast, or slow? Now count to twenty with the rhythm.
- Top 10 Flow – Lead this flow with drum beats. Remind the students to listen to the beat of the drum, as well as the beat of their heart, throughout the flow. Ask students whom they would like to send strength to during volcano.
- Strong Voice – Have students lay on their backs and listen as the Strong Voice questions are read out loud. Then have the students sit up and fill out the worksheet. Ask students who are willing to share.
- Archetype Game – Lead a discussion on strong characters, or times when they draw on their strength (sports or other activities). Play the Archetype Game focusing on alternating between strong characters and peaceful, gentle characters. Afterwards, have children discuss the difference they felt in their bodies during each type.
- Relaxation – Story with visit to a strong person.