Instructor: Karah Spahn
Community: Grade 4, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: November 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
Materials: Breathing ball, Chime, acorns or rocks/ pebbles in center of circle (or do this activity outside)
- Belly Breathing – Breathing Ball with helper. (Allow them to choose number of breaths) Ask students to feel the air enter and exit their bodies. Notice how that feels. Keep feet firmly planted on the floor our on the ground and feel your body’s connection to the Earth. (Give thanks and compliments)
- Chime – As chime rings, allow students to connect to their breath, think about where we are right now. Not anything else that is going on in their lives, just being here with this class in this moment.
- Spahn Stretch – Choose two helpers to lead Spahn Stretch: Mountain, Upward Mountain, Forward Fold, Arms out to sides & above, Crescent Moon (L, then R), Hands to heart. (Give thanks and compliments)
- Roots – Imagine you are an old beautiful tree with deep strong roots. Imagine yourself firmly rooted to the ground. Reach your hands up to the sky, like branches of your tree. Feel how strong and balanced you are with your deep roots.
- Yoga Sequence – Forward fold, downward dog, tabletop, cat/cow, tabletop, downward dog, forward fold, mountain.
- Acorn Gift – Let each student pick an acorn from the center of the circle. Have them think about where that acorn came from, and what potential is contains. What might it grow into?
- Child’s Pose or Lying Down – Give students the option of lying down, child’s pose, or sitting down during Mindful Moment. Remind them to feel how their body is connected to the Earth.
- Relaxation – Mindful moment: Think of your favorite tree. Now imagine that you can plant that tree in a special place. Go to that place, dig a hole, and plant the tree. Imagine that you can see into the future and watch the tree grow tall.