Instructor: Leah Shuyler
Community: Grade 4 Classroom
Plan Creation Date: April 16, 2010
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Trickster – Have the children lie on the floor and practice a breathing activity. Read the questions on the Trickster Archetype Worksheet, very slowly – and combine with a traditional trickster myth, like the story of Coyote. Have the children fill out the worksheet and have them share their responses.
- Woodchopper – Chop imaginary pieces of wood and loudly say “Huh!” as your ax hits the imaginary wood. Feel your “Huh!” come from the deepest part of your belly. Does it feel powerful?
- Mat 20 – Sun Salutation (focusing on Chair, Plank, and Cobra – holding each for 10-20 seconds) – Repeat a few times, and have a different student lead each time. Have the group share compliments with each leader.
- Relaxation – Have the children lie on the floor and practice a breathing activity. Provide a short relaxation story with a visit to a strong person.
- Strong Voice – Slowly read the sentences on the Strong Voice Worksheet, pausing in between each question to allow enough time for them to process their thoughts. Have the children fill how the worksheet and if time allows, have them share their answers with the group.