Instructor: Leah Shuyler
Community: Grade 4 Classroom
Plan Creation Date: April 14, 2010
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Pinwheel Breath – Practice breath control. Listen to the sound of the air as it leaves your mouth and spins the pinwheel.
- Pulse Count – Find your pulse and listen to your heart beat.
- Forward Bend – Feel the stretch in your legs and back.
- Activate/Relax Walk – Try to make your movements as soft as possible, try to be so soft that you can’t hear your movements or steps (moving in a relaxed and activated way).
- Warrior I/II – Hold Warrior I for up to one minute on each side, listening to your body, adjusting and taking breaks if needed (if time allows, do the same with Warrior II).
- Changing Channels – Close your eyes and practice changing the channel in your mind, try a few different channels (give ideas like holding a small pet, or being in a favorite place, or walking in the forest). Listen to the channels that soothe you, relax you and provide you with helpful information about how you are feeling and what you need.
- Child – Hold for 1-2 minutes, listening to your “calm voice” or your “strong voice”, which ever you need to listen to today.
- Relaxation – Read Mindful Moment Card, “Your body can help tell you what it needs to stay healthy. Listen to your body and think of three things that help you stay healthy and strong.” If time allows, have students share one thing they thought of with the group.