Instructor: Leah Shuyler
Community: Grade 4 Classroom
Plan Creation Date: April 15, 2010
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Back Breathing – For student in Child pose, feel the ground under you, supporting you. Know that your friend is providing you with support as you breathe. Switch roles.
- Pulse Count – Find your pulse and listen to your heart beat.
- Mountain – Stand tall and strong like a mountain, feel the ground, and think about those people in your life that are strong like a mountain for you, those that provide you with support.
- Roots – Feel the ground beneath your feet; send roots from every point of your feet down into the earth. Feel the earth supporting you and circle around right then left. Imagine your roots holding on tightly to help you balance.
- Tree – Now imagine that just your right foot is deeply rooted in the earth, like someone important to you is holding your foot steadily to the ground. Lift your other foot off the ground and place it at your ankle. Stand tall like a tree, hold for 30 seconds. Switch sides.
- Past, Present, and Future – Warrior II pose, with the integration of holding a stone in their back hand representing a person who has been there for them.
- Tree Circle – Notice how you and your friends support each other and keep each other grounded.
- Leg Extensions/Foot Circles – Feel the floor supporting your back as you stretch each leg and circle your ankles.
- Relaxation – Read Mindful Moment Card, “Imagine a tunnel that goes deep into the ground. Travel that tunnel into a small cozy room deep inside the earth. What is in the room? Who is there? Notice how it feels to be inside this room.”