Population/Setting/Length: Grade 3, School Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: 6/12/15
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Belly Breathing – with Hobermans sphere, feeling the weight of your body in your chair. Make your body still and listen to the stillness for 30 seconds. Allow students to lead breathing with the Hoberman’s sphere. Allow them to choose between 5-10 breaths.
- Yoga Calm Top 10 – Stop in several of the poses and be still for seven breaths. Repeat the sequence twice, allowing for students to lead the pose flow. Give alignment reminders throughout the sequence.
- Tree Circle – Stand in a circle – Tree pose, let the wind blow through your branches, then return to stillness, feeling the contrast between windy and still.
- Changing Tree – Four beats of windy, four beats of stillness on each leg.
- Discussion – Ask students “When is it important to be still?”
- Stillness Challenge – Have students lie completely still for 30 seconds.
- Relaxation – Read the following Mindful Moment Card on Stillness, “Take the next minute to listen to your breath. See if you can follow your breath as it moves in and out of your body. Imagine your favorite color and picture yourself breathing that color in and out. What does that color mean to you?”
Instructor: Carrie Pipkin