Population/Setting/Length: Grade 3, School Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: 7/6/15
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Belly Breathing – feeling the weight of your body in your chair. Make your legs heavy, feel the gravity holding you to the earth. Picture a solid rock that goes deep into the earth and imagine how heavy that rock is.
- Pulse Count – find your pulse, then listen to the rhythm of your heart. Picture a big drum with a large stick and each time you hear your heart beat, imagine playing that big deep not on the drum. Play that drum for 20 beats of your heart.
- Yoga Calm Mat 20 – Stop in several of the poses and ground yourself. For instance, when in Mountain stop and imagine what it must feel like to be such a big and sturdy piece of land. Then in Tree, ask yourself what makes a tree so strong? With each pose, ask them to make their body as grounded as possible. Practice this two times, allowing students to lead pose flow.
- Moving Story – Coyote – Have students start out on all fours. Read the story and complete the poses along the way.
- Eagle on a Cliff – While in eagle pose, imagine you are an eagle perched on a cliff. While still balancing on one foot, unhook your arms, “open your wings,” unwind your top leg and stretch it back. Imagine yourself flying. And then come back to your perch (Eagle pose) again without touching your foot down.
- Compliment Circle – Give each student an opportunity to be in the center to receive one complement from each person. Ask the student in the center to make eye contact and listen to the person as they give a complement. Make sure to include instructors as well.
- Child’s Pose – Have students come into child’s pose before the final relaxation exercise.
- Relaxation – Read the following Mindful Moment Card on Grounding: “Think of your favorite tree. Now imagine that you can plant that tree in a special place. Go to that place, dig a hole and plant the tree. Imagine that you can see into the future and watch the tree grow tall.”
Instructor: Carrie Pipkin