Instructor: Susan Wolfram
Community: Grade 3, Gym Class, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 12-14, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Chime – Ring the chime- focus on the sound; clear your mind of all other thoughts.
- Belly Breathing – with the Hoberman Sphere – We all breathe together with student leader and counter.
- Volcano Breath – 5 breaths together; last one sending caring thoughts to someone in your family or school help who helps you or who you would like to help. Being in community is caring for each other.
- Discussion – Discuss what it means to be in community and that they are part of many communities: Family, School, Neighborhood, City. What does that mean?
Think about what you give and get from your community. I will ask you after these activities.
- Personal Space – what is it? Model with two adults moving toward each other until signaled to stop. How can it be different? Why do we respect each others’ personal space? Have the students form two lines facing each other and walk toward each other on the drumbeat until signaled to stop by the other person. Then reverse who walks toward whom.
- Shoulder Arm Clock – Stand in tall mountain next to a partner. Arms up high; palms touching. Move toward 1:00(11:00), then 2:00(10:00), etc all the way to 6:00. Working together and helping each other.
- Partner Pull – Stand face to face with your partner, grabbing onto hands and wrists
Step back 1-2 feet,bent knees, backs straight, hold each other up. Try teeter-totter; squatting and pulling hips to the floor.
- Mirroring Circle Game – Come back to one large circle. Review pose options – Mountain, Roots, Crescent moon, Tree, Arm circles, Upward Mountain, Chair, Volcano Breath. Two children leave the circle and room; one in the circle is selected to be the leader to switch poses. The other two will come back and try to guess who it is by their switching. What did they learn about being part of a community? What do you get? (support and challenges which both help us to grow) Give? (care and support)
- UFO Ball – In the circle, hold hands or somehow connect to keep the glow ball lit while you think about the good things about being in community.
- Relaxation – Think about who helps you and how you can help others in your communities.