Instructor: Jill Rost
Community: Grade 3, Classroom setting, or small ADHD counseling group
Plan Creation Date:February 9, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Purpose: To help ADHD students learn to calm and control their bodies and mind
Materials: Lights/Chimes/Hoberman Sphere/Music/Lavender Spray
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere: 10 breaths – think, “I can be calm”.
- Ask a student to lead the group with the ball while another student counts
- Close eyes and listen to stillness for 10 seconds
- Ask the group to give a compliment to both students
Have a different student lead each of the following activities. Ask other students to compliment the leader.
- Sun Salutation – 3x. Have the students be very still in plank and warrior.
- Volcano Breath
- Activate/Relax Walk – adding various poses to the “activate command”.
- Forward Bend
- Mindful snack – Slices of fruit
- Child’s Pose
- Shavasna/dim lights/spray lavender
- Guided relaxation – “you are in a boat on a peaceful lake. You feel the sun on your head and shoulders. You can smell the water and imagine the color of the sky, the trees, the birds and the flowers around the lake. Breathe deeply while thinking how calm and focused you feel. Every part of your body is relaxed”.
- During the relaxation – I would slowly name parts of the body from head to toe and have the kids breathe while feeling the tension leave each part of their body.