Instructor: Paula Jones-Johnson
Community: Grade 2 Small Group
Plan Creation Date: June 28, 2012
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Hoberman Sphere: Have the kids sit in a circle. Introduce the lesson with a quiet voice. I usually use my Elmer Fudd voice and say, “be veeewy veeewy quiet.” Today we are going to make our bodies still. Discuss what that means.
- Use Every Kids Guide to Living Your Best Life, lesson, Tuning In Verses Tuning Out. After sharing the story, have the kids take turns with the activity page pointing out which things help us tune in.
- Volcano Breath: Ask students to think about something that helps them to be still. Imagine that you are at a certain place, or you are holding something comforting. As you exhale, think about your comforting, still image.
- Eagle: Explain how to get into the pose. Practice it on both sides
- Eagle on a Cliff: Use imagery while in this position.
- Have the children lie on their mats. Tell them that we are going to listen to a story that will inspire them to find their stillness.
- Read A Boy and a Bear.
- Tell the children to remain lying still. Have them pay attention to their breathing. Enjoy feeling the stillness in their minds and bodies. Tell them that they can keep a part of that peaceful feeling through out the day. This Stillness they have created insides themselves is their own and is always there for them to return to.