Population/Setting/Length: Grade 2, School Setting, 40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: 4/10/17
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Belly Breathing – Led by students using Hoberman Sphere and followed by compliments.
- Pulse Count – Students take pulse and note number.
- Mountain Pose – Students move to a spot in the classroom and stand in Mountain pose. One student leader to model pose.
- Tree Pose – Students move to a new spot in the classroom and stand in tree pose. One student leader to model pose.
- Animals in the Forest – Students are selected to be distracting animals. All “trees” work to maintain stillness and focus. This is a review game for this group. Provided today for fun, familiarity and to support our recently learned routines. Played one round.
- Activate/Relax Walk/Archetype – combo game! – Introduce guidelines for this activity. Walk around room and stop when cued or when drumming stops. Different sport-related actions were used…playing soccer, baseball, tennis, swimming, football, etc. Students walked to drum beat, then “played” the sports until told to “Freeze,” then continued to walk when drum started again and another verbal cue for the next sport was given.
- Volcano Breath – Find a seat on the floor where you are not touching others and have enough space to lie down. Three Volcano Breaths while sitting cross-legged. Two students lead at front of room.
- Progressive Relaxation – While lying on the floor, students are led through a progressive relaxation…tightening/activating parts of the body and releasing. Toes, Feet, Ankles, Calves, Thighs, Bottom/hips, Belly, Chest, Hands, Forearms, Upper Arms, Shoulders, Neck, Head/Face.
- One Minute Exploration – pay attention to breath and feelings in body for 1 minute, using chime to mark the time.
Instructor: Holly Cluff