Instructor: Amy Stringer
Community: Grade 1, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: May 12, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere: Ask student to hold sphere, Ask another student to count 5 or 7 breaths as we breathe.
- Compliments – Community: Have students give compliments for volunteers
- Child’s Pose – Grounding: Cue the feeling of parts of body touching the floor, the feeling of forehead touching the mat, and how this feeling helps us to feel grounded and calm. Discuss that this will be our focus today.
- Rock & Roll – Rock and roll 3 times, then come to standing.
- Mountain – Cue all four corners of the feet.
- Down Dog – Cue all four corners of the hand – Grounding: Cue how this pose help you to feel calm and relaxed, grounding your body. Take 3 deep breaths focusing on being present.
- Sun Salutation Sequence – do once per side, hold each pose for 2 breaths. Model first time, then choose student leaders for subsequent salutations. Community: After each sequence, have students compliment leaders.
- Warrior 1
- Forward Fold – Cue: Bend knees while folding forward, but keep your bottom high in the air.
- Forward Fold
- Warrior 1
- Down Dog
- Tree Pose – Imagery: Imagine you are a tall, strong tree in the forest. The roots of your tree are deep in the ground, and your strong trunk provides stability for your tree. The wind is gently blowing through your branches, and you might sway side to side, but your strong roots hold you in place.
- Tree Challenge – Grounding: have one partner try to distract the other partner while holding tree. Discuss strategies for staying grounded (eg: eyes focused, thinking about standing tall).
- Back Drawing – Grounding: Come back to image of being a grounded tree in the forest. Talk about spring weather, and spring storms. Discuss that we will be making a spring storm on our partner’s back. Have students sit in a circle
Make rain, thunder, lightning, clouds, and sun on the back of person in front of you
Draw a secret message to the person, then whisper what it was to partner.
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman sphere.
- Relaxation – Grounding: Ready, Set, Relax: Read a relaxation related to grounding.