Instructor: Rafaela Steen
Community: Grade 1, no previous yoga experience as a class, Classroom Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: November 6, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Goal: help to develop sense of internal stillness
Props/Music/Resources Required: Hoberman Sphere, A Quiet Place book, Anjali cd
- Hoberman Breathing – led by student with counter, compliments for student and counter
- Pulse Count – 15 seconds
- Mountain – think of a still beautiful, mountain, can you become that mountain? Close your eyes and imagine the sun shining all over your mountain. Who or what likes to spend time on your mountain?
- Activate/Relax Walk
- Discuss – when do we need to be relaxed, when do we need to be activated, when do we need to be both?
- Tree – when are trees completely still, what do they look like? Have students demonstrate
- Add Dancing Trees – let wind blow through your branches, return to stillness and notice the difference.
- Story – Read A Quiet Place, by Douglas Wood
- One Minute Exploration – lights off , music on – Think about your quiet place- where do you like to go? What does it look like? What do you see? What does it smell like? What do you hear? What do you feel? Is there anything that you taste?
- Sharing – Have a few students share out.