Instructor: Rafaela Steen
Community: Grade 1, no previous yoga experience as a class, Classroom Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: November 6, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
Goal: help students to experience feeling grounded
Props/Music/Resources Required:Hoberman Sphere, On The Day You Were Born book, Anjali cd
- Hoberman Breathing – led by student with counter, compliments for student and counter
- Pulse Count – 15 seconds
- Roots – Feel yourself anchored to the ground, and imagine people who care about you holding your feet to the ground- supporting you. As you circle, think about what it is that you are circling around? Who circles around you with love and care?
- Sharing – Have students share.
- Dancer – Use positive self-talk- “I am strong, I am in control, I can do it.” Have student demonstrate.
- Triangle – Visualize yourself as a star opening up and shining in the beautiful night sky.
- Twist – Try positive self-talk again- “I am strong, I am in control, I can do it” as you twist to each side.
- Story – Read On The Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier
- One Minute Exploration – lights off , music on – Think about what you bring to the world, to our school, to our class, to your family. What special gift do you bring every day with you? What makes you- you?
- Sharing – Have a few students share out.