Instructor: Josie Mostek
Community: Grade 1, Classroom Setting, 30-45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 4, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Belly Breathing – Leaders lead the class in breathing with Hoberman Sphere and chime. Have students give compliments.
- Volcano Breaths – Do heart and volcano breaths.
- Read Story – “Little Tree” by Loren Long – discuss how the little tree had to let go of its leaves to grow and then he felt grounded and grew!
- Mountain – press your feet down into the earth. Arms alongside your body. Lift your belly, heart, and heart…keeping your shoulders back and down. Look straight ahead and activate your body as your breathe.
- Roots – Imagine roots growing from your feet to help you feel grounded and steady. Imagine Little Tree the first time he started to grow roots. Rock back and forth with your activated body, with your feet grounded- firmly on the floor.
- Tree – have a focus of something in the room. As you go into tree pose, feel your foot on the earth be grounded and rooted. Grow your branches while rooting your standing leg.
- Tree Circle – Press into your friends’ hands to feel support. Ground and press your feet into the earth to feel grounded. As you lift your leg in Tree Pose, root your standing leg into the earth.
- Back Breathing – Have students lay on their backs… as they listen, returning breath back to normal.
- Relaxation – Grounding Card – read a mindful moment card. “Imagine a trail that goes into the forest…”