Instructor: Rafaela Steen
Community: Grade 1, no previous yoga experience as a class, Classroom Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: November 6, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
Goal: help students to experience a sense of community
Props/Music/Resources Required: Hoberman Sphere, Good People Everywhere book, Anjali cd
- Hoberman Breathing – led by student with counter, compliments for student and counter
- Pulse Count – 15 seconds
- Volcano Breath – Think of someone in your family or school- your community- to whom you would like to send your heart thoughts.
- Sharing – Have students share a few.
- Tree Prep – Imagine one of your family members or friends holding one of your feet gently to the ground. Try to slowly lift the other foot off the floor. Now switch sides.
- Tree – Continue to imagine a loved one holding your grounded foot to the floor. Have a student or two demonstrate- ask class how they think they hold their balance.
- Tree Circle – Have two students on either side of me demonstrate gently pushing into my hands and pushing back to help balance. Press into each others’ hands for support and try tree pose in a circle. Discuss how tree circle differed from tree- what did they notice?
- Story – Read Good People Everywhere by Lynea Gillen
- One Minute Exploration – lights off , music on – Think about what good things you will do for your community. What will you do at school? What can you do at home? What can you do while spending time with friends?
- Sharing – Have a few students share out.