Instructor: Shasta Rueckert
Community: Elementary Ages, School Setting, 25-30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Belly Breathing – student led with compliment.
- Mindful Moment Card on Strength - Remember a time when you felt afraid, but you were able to keep going because you knew you could do it. What were you doing? What helped you find strength at that time?
- Mountain – Display picture of a mountain. Have students use their mental strength to stay focused on the picture for 30 seconds, bringing their mind back if it starts to wander. Walk around and press students’ shoulders from the side to feel the strength.
- Upward Mountain
- Crescent Moon
- Mountain - Activate and Relax to show how much stronger you are when activated (shows confidence).
- Mountain Range - Have students silently form a long mountain range by standing in Mountain, shoulder to shoulder, touching only the outsides of their feet. When are some times we may be stronger as a group than on our own? (when being teased or bullied, feeling sad, sports team).
- Read “Boy and a Bear” - Before reading the book, discuss how you have to be strong when climbing a mountain, both physically and mentally when it becomes difficult.
- Chime – Close your eyes and think of a time you had to be strong. Listen to the sound of the chime. When the sound disappears, say to yourself “I am Strong” and then open your eyes. Allow a few students to share a time they were strong.