Instructor: Shasta Rueckert
Community: Elementary Ages, School Setting, 25-30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere listen to how quiet your breath can be, student led.
- Pulse Count – Imagine a drum beating. Listen to the beat of your heart for 20 beats.
- Yoga Flow – Simple flow, Practice the following flow to the beat of the drum, holding each for 8 beats:
- Upward Mountain
- Crescent Moon – both sides
- Archetype Game – We are going to become statues of different characters. Spread out around the room. Start in squatting position. As I count to 4 you will grow into a statue, listening carefully to the character I call out. You will then walk and move around the room as that character would move. When I say ‘freeze’, go back into a squat. Listen to your bodies and notice which archetypes/characters are easy and which are uncomfortable for you to act out. Rules: no touching, running or talking.
- Child Pose
- Mindful Moment Card on Listening – In the next moment, listen to all the different sounds in the room. How many can you hear? Where are the sounds coming from? Which sounds do you find pleasant?
- Chime – Listen to the sound of the chime. When you no longer hear it, come out of child pose and back to the classroom.