Instructor: Laura McCaghy
Community: Elementary Ages, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: November 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Class Intention: Main principle I want to convey- Listening
How I will set the tone to create a therapeutic environment- mats in a circle facing each other; softened lighting. Which specific challenging behavior am I trying to address? Catching the early signs of anger—listening to those warning systems in body/mind.
- Breathing Techniques – (integrating principle-based & social/emotional language):
Back breathing (using child’s pose)
- Yoga Flow – (Yoga-Based Movement integrating principle-based & social/emotional language):Seated twist (sitting on floor; but show how it could work in a chair in class), Cat/cow, Roots, Forward bend (relax; let it all go)
- Watch video on youtube, “Just Breathe” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVA2N6tX2cg
- Art Activity – Make calming jars and discuss how they can use them to help them calm (talk about how they know when they need to calm—body signs, thought signs.
- Relaxation – (Relaxation integrating the physical, emotional, and cognitive experiences from the lesson plan): Calm voice prompts while listening to soft music. Very little dialog during this relaxation. Just asking them to listen for their Calm voice (where in your body can you find it? High or low? Fast or slow? Does it make you think of someone?) Ask them to listen to what that voice has to tell them. Just music (instrumental) and no talking for 2-3 minutes (a song length).
- Sharing – Talk about what the voice said; are there places you go where you can hear it; when can it help you?