Instructor: Sabine Lindemann
Community: Elementary Ages, School Setting, 30 minutes?
Plan Creation Date: April 30, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere – One student leading with Hoberman Sphere and another counting off a selected number of breaths. Compliments to student leader and counter.
- One Minute of Self-Exploration – using Mindful Moment Card – take a moment to remember the names of all the people in your family. Think of aunts, uncles, grandmas and grandpas, brothers and sisters. Imagine them making a circle around you to help you when you are in need.
- Volcano Breath – when exhaling, send out gratitude to all the people in your family.
- Roots – activate your body, imagine that a family members is holding your ankles as you press your feet into the ground. Close your eyes and balance. What are you circling around?
- Tree – now imagine that your left foot is still rooted firmly to the ground, while you slowly lift your right foot off the floor – use student drummer to count 5 beats. Switch sides and count 5 beats on other leg – give compliments to both trees and student drummer.
- Tree Circle – notice how we all support each other as friends, as a group – count to 10 on left leg, then switch legs and count to 10 – count to 3, then let go and fold hands in front of heart, count to 3, then go back into Tree Circle. Switch legs. How was it different standing in the circle / standing by yourself.
- Compliment Game – was it easier to give or to receive compliments?
- Stillness – Ask students to be completely still for 30 seconds.
- Scripted Relaxation – “The Complete Meal” (“Ready .. Set .. R.E.L.A.X.”, Allen/Klein) – Enhance the feeling of special times by imagining being with a special friend or family member.