Population/Setting/Length: Elementary Ages, Home or School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: 3/1/17
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – Hoberman Sphere – Student leader, student counter, compliments.
- Volcano Breath – Student Counter. Compliments.
- Pulse Count – Student Timer. Compliments.
- Leg Extensions/Foot Circles – Today we are going to go on a journey into space as we all become space explorers! What do you think makes a great space explorer? Listen. Discuss. A space exploerer can’t get to space alone, it takes a whole community to get them there. Discuss what Community means.
- Cat/Cow – Before we get into our Rocket Ships, we need to make sure that are bodies are warmed up and ready for the long flight. As a community, lets count backwards from 10-1.
- Alternate Arm/Leg Kicks – Count backwards 10 to 1.
- Plank – As we prepare to blast off, our bodies are strong and active like a superhero. Hold plank as the engines start up and we count down from 10-1.
- Superman – We are blasting away from the earth going faster than we’ve ever gone before. We notice that we are smiling the biggest smiles we have ever smiled before. We look at our crew mates and notice that they are laughing and smiling too.
- Downward Dog – As we blast through the Earth’s atmosphere and enter the orbit, our space craft feels as though it is floating and we are comfortable. Our bodies are strond as we look down out the window at the Earth below.
- Star – Slowly rise up. We step our feet wide off of our yoga mats and our bodies are strong like a superhero. We send our fingertips our long and shoot rays of star light our from each finger and each toe.
- Side Angle – Left and Right, count of 10. We become shooting stars. Student Counter. Compliments.
- Mountain to Upward Mountain – We realize that we have traveled all the way to a distant planet. We are close enough to the planet to see mountains.
- Crescent Moon – Left and Right side. Student Counter. Compliments.
- Chair – Descending down with our crewmates. We are feeling grateful that we were able to take this journey with a community of our friends.
- Warrior I – Our bodies are strong and active. We receive a patch to place on our spacesuits. We notice the words community on our patch. We are officially astronauts now!
- Community Circle Worksheet
- Pulse Count
- Child’s Pose
- Relaxation – Guided Meditation – Time Travel
Instructor: Michelle Finley
Space Explorer Theme