Instructor: Heidi Valdez
Community: Elementary Ages, Self-contained behavior Classroom, 45-60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: March 28, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Academic/Therapeutic/Other goals: Developing self-awareness and self-regulation as well as focusing attention
Props/Music/Resources Required: Anjali Cd, Cd player, breathing buddies, Chime, mindful moment card on listening
- Chime – to signal start of class – have students practice listening to chime and bringing stillness to thoughts in head, have students identify and share other sounds in the room that they notice at the same time that they are focusing on the sound of the chime. Have students signal with a thumbs up when they can no longer hear the chime. Direct the students to become aware of how long the chime sounds and how long they are focused on the sound.
- Belly Breathing – breathing buddies. Have students lie on floor put their hands on their bellies to feel the rise and fall of their belly with each breath. Have students follow the path of their breath from nose to lungs, to belly and back. Next have the students put breathing buddies on bellies and see that they rise and fall with each breath. Give students some time to take their breathing buddies for a ride on their bellies.
- Pinwheel breath – Give students sticky notes to put on their fingers and have them practice taking deep breaths (instead of pinwheels moving we focus on the movement of the sticky note). The kids have the option of keeping their sticky note with them at their desks to use throughout the day when they feel anxious or upset, or just need to center themselves and take a deep breath. Have the students put a mark on their sticky note to keep track of how many times they take a deep breath in a day.
- Yoga Calm Mat 20 – focusing on listening to their bodies when they feel tension and using their breathing to calm and center themselves while in poses. Focusing on downward dog – having the kids pay attention to their breath.
- Relax Activate Walk – helping students with listening, following directions and having fun. Have students lead with choosing poses on the activation part of the walk. Have students connect with their breath while relax walking and activating.
- Mindful Moments Card – Have students pick from Mindful Moments cards on Listening and read to the group for relaxation/quiet time. They can share their thoughts if they want to further promote listening not only to ourselves in quiet time but to others when they share their thoughts and experiences.