Instructor: Dori King
Community: Elementary Ages, Classroom Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: September 20, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – with the Hoberman Sphere – Teacher has previously modeled. One student leads with the sphere and one student counts. Afterwards students offer compliments.
- Volcano Breath – Use the meditation concept of loving kindness have the children picture the following through 5 Volcano breaths:
- Someone who is dear to them and supports them
- The student
- Someone in the class that they know and like
- Someone in the classroom that is a challenge to the student
- Someone they have seen in the school environment that they do not know well
- Yoga Flow – Simple Primary Flow: cat/cow, rock and roll, boat,
mountain, up mountain, forward fold, bent knee lunge, mountain, up mountain, forward fold, bent knee lunge, mountain.
- Partner Pull – offer this provocation: How does it feel like to have the support of a friend in a new class? What does it look like?
- Tree – first have students individually go into tree and then ask what was challenging.
- Tree Circle – have the students and teachers form a tree circle. Ask what was different about the tree circle versus being a lone tree.
- Relaxation – Read Lynea’s book Good People Everywhere.
- Have the children think about who their people are and who are the people that are important to the group. Make a list of these people and post it. Add to it as the year goes on.