Instructor: Cristina Dobon-Claveau
Community: Aggression Replacement Training Group-Girls
Plan Creation Date: March 26, 2012
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding & Strength
- Pulse Check: Taught the girls how to read their bodies and find their pulse and what a high/fast pulse could mean.
- Belly Breathing: Gave each girl a small stuffed animal, we laid on our mats and practiced belly breathing and feeling our animals rise and descend as we breathed. I then had them sit up and do seven breaths with the Hobberman sphere. We then processed how our bodies felt after we practiced good belly breathing.
- Roots: Had a picture of tree roots. Tell me what roots do for this tree in the picture…now stand with your feet hip-width apart and spread your toes over the ground, completely flat to the floor and have them act like roots in this picture. Have your body activate, all of the muscles in your body and flexed, where you can feel each and ever one of them. It may hurt a little.
- Mountain: Had a picture of a mountain. Tell me what you see in this picture and how you would describe this mountain…stand feet hip-width apart, stand tall, open your heart and keep your shoulders wide and your back straight. Think of all of those words you used to describe the mountain and demonstrate these words with your bodies.
- Chair: From your mountain pose, inhale and raise your arms to the sky and bend your knees as if you were going to sit in an imaginary chair. Make sure your back is straight and tall, like the back of a throne.
- Woodchopper: The last thing we are going to do before moving on to our next activity, I want you to think about all of the drama and the stress you bring in with you to this group, whether it be at school or at home. Keep your mountain pose, raise your arms to the sky and put one hand over your fist. On the count of three, we are going to swing our arms down between our legs like we are going to chop wood. Lets make a loud “huh” sound from our bellies to make sure we get rid of all of the drama.
- Body cues worksheet: Coloring activity.
- Relaxation Script: Ready…Set…R.E.L.A.X., page 100, Empowerment.