Instructor: Renee Combs
Community: Ages/Grades?, Setting?
Plan Creation Date: January 14, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
Goal: This lesson will teach students how to use strength in a positive way. The intention, or goal, of this lesson is for students to realize the importance of using strength in a positive manner to discover their full potential.
- Chair Flow 15 (p.157)
- Opening Remarks – We want to find our strength and use it in positive ways to help us become better people. When we use strength in a positive way it can help us become more confident feel good about ourselves. It can help us make better choices, and others will respond to us more positively.
- Star Pose – “Open your arms wide using your energy to shine out your strength.”
- Warrior 2 – “Find the warrior within you and reach arms long and strong front to back.”
- Side Angle – “Use your warrior energy to reach forward and lunge down, strengthen your other arm as you reach up to touch the sky.”
- Warrior 1 – “Bring your arms forward and turn lower body toward the front of the room, using your leg strength as you come into Warrior 1.”
- Crescent Moon –“ Use your power to Straighten your back leg as you bend into your front lunge while reaching arms up long and strong.”
- Bent Knee Lunge –“Drop into bent knee lunge and hinge hips back for hamstring stretch.”
- Mountain Pose – “Lift up and bring yourself back to powerful standing Mountain Pose.”
- Star Pose – Repeat on other side stepping back opposite direction into Star Pose.
- Strong Voice – Talk about how your strong voice can help you be assertive, but calm
- Changing Channels – Talk about how being strong allows us to change the channel
- Discussion – Did you feel your breathing change in different situations during the activities? What does it mean to channel our strength and how can it help us in a positive way?
- Relaxation – Relaxation Story with visit to a strong person.
- Strong Voice Worksheet (p. 123) – Share with class