Instructor: Nicole Herlofsky
Community: Ages/Grades?, Setting?, 45-60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 14, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Materials: Music, speaker, mats, Calm Voice worksheets
- Belly Breathing – Clients sit in chairs or stand in mountain pose. Close eyes or gaze down. Direct them to notice what they are hearing around them. Then direct them to notice their breath and deepen their breath.
- Opening remarks – What is the difference between listening and hearing? How do you tell if someone is listening to you? What does it look like, sound like, feel like? How do you listen to yourself/your body?
- Yoga Flow – Yoga based activities – Do the following sequence 3x: Star, warrior II, side angle, star, triangle (both sides equals 1 sequence). During poses talk feeling the stretch and listening to your body so you push your body to stretch just the right amount – not too much or too little.
- Communication Game – Social Emotional Activity
- Discussion – Clients are seated. Talk about how we communicate – verbal, non-verbal, appearance, tone, etc. In turn how do we listen or take in information? Cover all 5 senses. Discuss importance of active listening skills covered in game.
- Relaxation – Calm Voice worksheet – Client’s sit with forehead on hands on desk or in child’s pose on the mat. Direct clients to their breath. Read calm voice worksheet with pauses between questions. Afterward have clients to fill out calm voice worksheet and invite them to share responses.