Instructor: Nicole Herlofsky
Community: Ages/Grades?, Setting?, 45-60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 14, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
Materials: Music, speaker, mats, chime, Hoberman Sphere, mindful moment cards
- Chime – led by clients
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman sphere, led by clients
- Opening Remarks – “Life is busy and chaotic at times. It’s important to have a port in the storms of life, a connection to the earth. Like a palm tree in a hurricane, we want to stay connected to the earth. Even as the storm may blow through us, our roots keep us grounded. Think of a time you felt grounded and connected. Where were you? Who was there with you?”
- Volcano Breaths – “Send out positive thoughts to who or what helps you feel grounded.”
- Mat Flow – Yoga Based Activities – Mountain to Mountain. Then Mountain, Roots, Tree, Eagle, Eagle Flying, Forward Fold – do sequence twice alternating sides. Prompt clients to feel the earth beneath their feet, to feel connected to the earth, balanced, and centered.
- Partner Tree Pose – Social/Emotional Activity – start alone in tree pose, then with partner as support, then with partner as challenging.
- Discussion – How did you feel with support vs challenge? How did you handle the challenging part? Who or what is challenging you in your life right now? What would happen if you invited/accepted challenge in to your life? What might you need to learn from those challenges?
- Relaxation – Prone position with breathing and progressive relaxation exercise.
- Mindful Moment Card – End with reading Mindfulness Moment Grounding Card.