Instructor: Marianne Turnbull
Community: Ages/Grades?, Classroom Setting?, 1 hour
Plan Creation Date: January 14, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
Goal: To increase emotional intelligence, emotional vocabulary and to find the emotional energy in your body
Music: Anjali Yoga Music for Children
- Wiggles out exercise – bounce your knees and release energy from your, fingers, wrists, arms, torso, entire body
- Belly Breathing
- Centering – bring the kids to the mat in this moment
- Star – Featured Pose
- Pick a Pose – Teach a Pose. Have kids pick a pose from the Kids Yoga Deck and have them demonstrate the pose – correct with alignment principles as needed
- Exploring emotions activity – like charades – Have kids make a list of emotions and write them on a small slip of paper. Add new emotions like disappointed, frustrated, and lonely. Pick a slip of paper and act out the emotion while the others guess what emotion it is. Points to cover: What are emotions? Your body’s’ wisdom and energy that tells you about your self. All emotions are ok – it’s how we express them that can be a problem. Emotions should accurately reflect your thoughts and words to avoid mixed messages. Let emotions flow thru you. Can have more than one at a time. Emotions can be hidden and come out suddenly. Other points!
- Star Relaxation – found in Yoga For Children by Lisa Flynn
- Mindful Snack – What are these flavors? Where does it come from? How does it grow? How does it get to St. Paul MN? How many workers were involved?
- Volcano Breath – send out appreciation for all the workers involved in bringing us fruit in the winter in MN