Instructor: Alyson Johnson
Community: Ages/Grades?, Classroom Setting, 1 hour
Plan Creation Date: November 8, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
Academic Goal: Emphasize Human Anatomy for Anat & Phys students
Props: 3 fake tea lights surrounding a vase of agates in water.
Music: Drumming CD, play out of laptop with speakers.
- Belly Breathing – Meet on the mat. Sit in cobbler’s pose. Breathe fully for 1 minute. Notice the strength of the body holding itself still.
- Forward Fold – Walk arms forward, hanging head down. Take fold to the right and the left.
- Volcano Breaths – 3 Seated volcano breathes.
- Table – Bring body to table
- Cat Cow
- Down Dog –strong arms, strong feet and legs, solid core. Think of a time you felt really strong and hold that image in your head now.
- Lunge – Step into lunge -> Warrior I. You a warrior here, ruling your mat. Stretch arms proudly to the sky. Root legs down to engage your leg muscles. Lift your sternum as you fill your lungs.
- Warrior II -> Reverse warrior – > Triangle -> Lunge -> Plank
- Plank – Slow plank to the floor. Feel the strength in your arms, your abs, your glutes, and your mind.
- Baby cobra -> Child’s pose – > Table – > Down dog – > lunge -> forward fold – > Stand in mountain.
- Repeat – Sit into chair, then repeat above sequence. Stop at child’s pose
- Child’s pose
- Seated leg stretches – > Roll onto back
- Boat – > Up dog
- Lay on back – hugging one knee at a time towards body.
- Full body stretch – on back.
- Come to relaxation pose.
- Breathing – Take 3 breaths together.
- Relaxation – Notice how your body feels. Celebrate the work you have done. Notice how strong your body felt when you challenged yourself. Think of a time you felt strong. What were you doing? It could be today in yoga, if could be a day you chose not to fight, it could be a day you stood up for a friend, or a time you resisted temptation. What did your body feel like in this moment? What did you mind tell you? How were you breathing? Notice the strength you felt inside.
- Chime – Listen for the bell. Slowly roll to the right. Come to seated. Peace in our thoughts, peace in our words, and peace in our actions.