Instructor: Andrea Burke, M.S. Ed.
Plan Creation Date: June 2009
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
Calm (5-10 minutes)
- Circle Walking: Walk quietly in a circle. This is more difficult than you think. Be aware of the space between you and others, walk at a natural pace but try to balance the space between walkers so it is even. Awareness of others and connectedness, yet space for our own individuality are components of a budding community. When I say stop, stand and turn toward the center and look at everyone, then sit down.
- Breathe with Hoberman. Relax and focus with your breath. Calm and let go of tension you may feel in your head, neck shoulders, arms, hands, fingers, back, hips, thighs, calves, feet, toes. Our bodies are all different, yet all alike.
Active (15 minutes)
- Partner Pull
- Shoulder Clock
- Tree Challenge
- Tree Circle
Calm (10-15 minutes)
- Mindful (nature) art snack. Pass around paper, nature items, written nature phrase. Have create a temporary “art” arrangement in silence. Provide 5-7 minutes for arranging. A few minutes for contemplation. A few minutes for sharing response to activity or nature objects.
- Relaxation (5-10 minutes). Rest in your treehouse, breathing, listening to nature, visualizing friends, community.
- Literature/music connection. “Life runs in a circulation motion” (song), Swimmy (book), Stella Louella Runaway Book (book), Big Al (book)