Population/Setting/Length: Ages 9-12, School Setting, Special Education, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: 1/1/17
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Gtrength
- Feel breath with hands on belly, chest/heart area, and collar bones/upper lungs. Breath into each area.
- Belly Breathing – with drum beat. Three beat in, four beat out. 5 rounds.
- Seated Cat/Cow with arms in goal post out to the sides. Starting in a straight back arms in goal post style out to the sides. Curling arms in towards center in front of face, rounding the back to a cat spine, little chin tuck. Moving out towards a straight back, pushing out through chest, chin slightly up, shoulder blades moving toward each other onto back.
- Seated on edge of chair put hands on back of seated part of the chair with fingers pointed toward the persons seat for modified baby back bend. Push up through hands, arm, starting to curl up from seat, through back and extending head back if comfortable.
- Seated Twist – sitting up, feet on floor straight ahead of body, chest open, twist to the right from lower spine up through belly, head and eyes moving the the right last, right arm can go behind seat back and left arm can rest on right leg, hold for four count and switch.
4 rounds with drum two beats in between hold for four beats.
- Relaxation – One hand on belly and one hand on chest/heart area, feel the strength in both, the belly is the core where your body’s strength comes from, the chest is the heart area a very strong muscle where the passion, kindness, hurt comes from. Can you think about someone who has strength in their belly/core and chest/heart? 10 minutes to write about that person.
Instructor: Shawna O’Neal