Instructor: Jennifer Wickham
Community: Ages 8-10, Counseling Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: September 27, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Standing Volcano Breath – (choose a leader) feeling the ground beneath your feet stand tall and proud like a strong mountain. Imagine the tunnels that go down into the earth that can let anything (worries, thoughts, sad or angry feelings) that you want to leave your body for today. Allow these things to leave as you breathe in the good and breathe out the bad…( compliments).
- Pulse Count – find your pulse, feel the beat of your heart drum… listen to your drum for 15 seconds… if your heart had a voice what is your heart saying to you?
- Roots – imagine anchoring into the earth… feeling how strong you are..
- Crescent Moon – right/ upward mountain/ crescent moon left… notice how your feet support you as you stretch right / up /left.
- Star – feel your body expand and get big as you anchor to the earth like a tree with roots and stretch out your arms like branches.
- Forward Bend/Downward Dog/Child’s Pose – notice your breath as you relax and let your legs and hands support you from the ground up.
- Strong Voice Activity – How is your strong voice? How can it be used in positive and negative ways?
- Belly Breathing – Lay on back…3-10 belly breaths.
- Guided Relaxation – “the Grandfather Tree” from Starbright: Meditations for Children by Maureen Garth.