Instructor: Cynthia O’Connell
Community: Ages 8-10, After school group, Boys and Girls Club, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: June 8, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Academic/Therapeutic/Other Goals: Focusing on positive, what went well?
Props/Music Resources required: laptop for music, sphere, mindful moments cards, pencils and paper.
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere, 10 breaths, one student leads, with another student counting
- Pulse Count – Find your pulse, and then listen to the rhythm of your heart. Try closing your eyes if it helps you concentrate
- Mindful moments card – Listening (student reads) – Sit Quietly and listen to your heart. What does it say today? Discuss what sounds the students hear, how difficult it is at times to closely listen, and what helps us to listen.
- Volcano Breath – 4 times – Imagine your breath rising up deep from the earth, like a volcano, listen to how it sounds different form your slow breathing.
- Chair 15 – Mountain-to-Mountain
- Arm Swings – with positive self-talk
- What went well exercise? – Think about yesterday. Write down three things that went well and tell me why they went well. It can be as simple as “ I did all of my home work without being told. And it made me feel good when my Mom was happy about not nagging me. Or it was a beautiful day and walking to school made me happy to be outside.” Let students complete the writing portion and then share one of their three things and why. Observe students listening to each other, comment on student’s listening to each other.
- One minute exploration – on a time when you did something well.
- Progressive relaxation – in chair.